The purpose of this blog is to show how faith, my professional training and a healthy sense of humor taught me and continues to teach me that Jesus Christ is always in control. I am a fellow learner as this journey for my child unfolds. My wish is that Ben's legacy gives others hope where there seems to be none. It is also my desire that the information I have assimilated with my medical mind and filtered through a mother's heart gives practical ways to deal with this ever-changing chronic disease. Finally, for the many friends and family members who continue to follow Ben's life change after the injury, the story continues.

Wednesday, September 4, 2013


I visited Ben a few days ago at the ranch where he lives. The most recent development is his increased thirst to establish relationship with friends and family. He is remembering phone numbers and calling people to talk often.  He is texting messages to them. A sweet friend and neighbor called me on Saturday night excited because Ben called their house that evening. It was totally unexpected. How did Ben remembered her number? This friend's son had been an important companion early in Ben's life. Both the friend and her son had visited Ben often during the days when Ben was in critical condition in the neurosurgical intensive care unit. She was crying. To her, the phone call was evidence of the miracles God is capable of performing.
 As I post updates about Ben in this phase of his life, I am struck by how many friends tell me that they cried or were deeply moved by what is happening in this journey.  Ben's injury, the story of his life, will be for good.  Ben is praying and speaks often about the second chance God has given him.  I believe that one day he may be able to deliver an amazing testimony.

Ben has made amazing progress, but the evidence of chronic illness from his traumatic brain injury is still apparent. Ben still battles problems with memory and attention. He carries small notebooks around to write down things he doesn’t want to forget. He has to be reminded to watch his language at times, but eagerly apologizes and adjusts his behavior if asked. Ben’s therapists report that he is relearning to handle money. The exercises involve making change, keeping a checkbook, etc. The therapists report that he is 50% accurate with using a calculator and 75% accurate with pen and paper when making change.  He is working hard with the therapists and riding an exercise bike about 30 minutes daily. Personal care and household chores, including laundry, are now managed easily as part of his routine.

As we move forward on this journey, it is clear that God is healing Ben and that He will provide the answers as new challenges come. As a mom it is tough not to worry about what is next. Will Ben be able to work, to learn, to look after himself? Through miraculous provision, Ben will be staying at the rehabilitation facility for 6 more months. Isaiah 30:15a says, “For thus says the Holy One of Israel: In returning [to Me] and resting [in Me] you shall be saved; in quietness and in [trusting] confidence shall be your strength.” AMP  For now I am “resting”. Trusting confidence in God is my strength. It will be good.

4 comments:

  1. This is all SUCH a blessing, and such good news. God is working in (and on) this young man! I wish that I had known Ben prior to this so I could see the amazing rebirth that is transforming his life. I have never, ever witnessed a person being blessed with a second chance at life. Ben is my first. I am proud to be related to him through our new marriage, and I SO look forward to going and growing with him for years to come. This is all good! Karla, the strength that you and James exhibit is truly a marvel,a God-given gift, and is something that the rest of us can only sit back and admire. (While shaking our heads and wondering how the heck you continue to do it, time after time again!)

    God Bless you two, and God Bless Ben and the rest of your family. Lord knows how hard we're all praying and wishing and wanting for the best for all of you!

    Ben is doing the impossible, and we're so very proud to bear witness!

    Love and hugs,

    Brandon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every report of progress and improvements in Ben's life makes me humbly cry out to the Lord, "Thank you! Thank you, Jesus!". God has shown us His great mercy and power in lovingly bringing restoration to Ben's broken body and mind...and He is not finished yet! Hallelujah!
    Thank you, Karla for these updates! Ben, if you are reading this, hi! I am so very happy for your continued progress and thank God for the miracle that you are! Praying for you!
    -Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy to hear of Ben's progress! I love that he is calling and texting friends; and I am amazed that he is remembering numbers! I can't even do that! I also love the card that he sent to you. What a special gift! We love you, Karla, and continue to pray for your strength and stamina as we pray for Ben's healing.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for such a more informative blog for Traumatic Brain Injury. Here is a website for Traumatic Brain Injury Treatment Center please visit this for more knowledge.

    ReplyDelete