The purpose of this blog is to show how faith, my professional training and a healthy sense of humor taught me and continues to teach me that Jesus Christ is always in control. I am a fellow learner as this journey for my child unfolds. My wish is that Ben's legacy gives others hope where there seems to be none. It is also my desire that the information I have assimilated with my medical mind and filtered through a mother's heart gives practical ways to deal with this ever-changing chronic disease. Finally, for the many friends and family members who continue to follow Ben's life change after the injury, the story continues.

Sunday, September 29, 2013

The evolution and change in Ben's rate of healing continues to amaze and astound us. I arrived at Ben's on Saturday for a visit. I was late. It had been a difficult day, with unexpected patient care issues that morning in my medical practice. The drive to the neurorecovery center had taken longer than usual in the afternoon rain and I was tired. I arrived at around 6pm and was greeted with a smiling Ben and the news that he had been granted day passes for Saturday and Sunday.  This news was unexpected and such a gift! My fatigue evaporated.  As the weekend unfolded, it was clear that God had much to show me. It was SO good! We got in the car, almost giddy with excitement. This was the first time Ben was on his own with just family and no restrictions.  I was about to see how God is equipping Ben to show others what a miracle is like.

The first item on our agenda was a haircut. Ben looked like a shaggy dog. Where do you get a haircut at 7pm in an unfamiliar town? I drove to two places with no luck. Finally, I called a salon located in a mall. At first I was told that they were closing in 10 minutes and had no stylist available. Ben and I were planing to go to church in the morning. He needed to feel good about himself. I briefly explained the situation and the salon stayed open an extra hour just for Ben. The stylist took an hour to cut Ben's hair. It isn't an easy task with Ben's skull shape from neurosurgery and the scars on his scalp. Ben looked amazing. The staff in the salon was very interested in Ben's story. We were able to share what God has done in Ben's life; even looking at photos on this blog. Afterward the young stylist shared that the day had been very discouraging for him until Ben arrived. Ben had made his day. I saw how Ben's story had ministered to him.

The next day Ben attended church with family at the church that has prayed for his recovery since the very first day of the accident. Person after person came up to Ben to be introduced. The people praying for Ben were seeing in "person" what prayer can do. I saw the joy on each and every face when Ben shook their hand and politely answered questions. During the service Ben said, "Mom, you are making me feel like the star of the show right now." After the service, our cousin, Elizabeth, introduced Ben to her large Sunday school class. To my surprise, Ben started to speak to the class. He thanked everyone for their "little prayers"for him. And with perfect timing added, ".......and if you didn't pray for me, that's ok, too." The statement and grin on Ben's face was priceless. The class erupted in giggles.  Ben finished with telling everyone that he has felt Christ in his life more than ever the past 2 weeks. I was astounded. Ben was poised, articulate and funny. The message was clear. Ben communicated it to everyone he saw. What on earth is God up to? 

Ben still has a long way to go. His memory is still extremely impaired. Attention and learning is difficult. He still needs prayer to heal. He is frustrated with the disability from the traumatic brain injury. He is desperate to return home. He is communicating with friends and family with texts via iPad and phone calls, but is tired of being by himself. Ben appreciates your prayers. It will be good!

8 comments:

  1. Wow! This is SO encouraging, Karla!!! It is so awesome to see the tenderness of Ben's heart! Rejoicing with you over this special weekend y'all had together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great weekend! Ben's story is an amazing encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for his attention and memory! So glad that his story is touching so many people's lives and that he's making such incredible progress! <3 - Chanel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karla, I am so grateful to God for what He is doing, for His grace and mercy. Rejoicing with you, with Ben, and with all of your family. I am praying that Ben will continue to heal and that his life will be a sweet testimony of God's goodness and care for His children. Love your boy, but you know that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This makes me so happy! I'm so glad you both enjoyed such a great weekend! I am so thankful for all the God has already done, but I am so excited to see what He has in store for Ben's future! His plans are so good! Thank you for sharing your journey with us! We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karla
    What a wonderful weekend you had with Ben. It is so encouraging to hear such great news and see how God has worked in Ben's healing and in his life. Keeping you in our prayers that soon Ben will be able to come home with his family.
    Carole Lueb

    ReplyDelete
  7. God's glory is what it's all about! What wonderful news that Ben is aware of God's hand in his life! God is using him in unique ways (I love the barber story!) and God's story and glory are shining through!! -Karin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an amazing testimony ! We see God's mighty ability and mercy right before us ! Ben has come a long way and more importantly, he is serving a calling ! His work it seems is only just beginning. What a wonder. It is such a delight to read and learn about him and his positive progress within himself. GO BEN !

    ReplyDelete