The purpose of this blog is to show how faith, my professional training and a healthy sense of humor taught me and continues to teach me that Jesus Christ is always in control. I am a fellow learner as this journey for my child unfolds. My wish is that Ben's legacy gives others hope where there seems to be none. It is also my desire that the information I have assimilated with my medical mind and filtered through a mother's heart gives practical ways to deal with this ever-changing chronic disease. Finally, for the many friends and family members who continue to follow Ben's life change after the injury, the story continues.

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Early in the course of Ben's injury I would refer to positive signs of improvement as a "flicker" of hope.  In spite of all the serious complications and signs of disability, I would see, briefly, that "my Ben" was still in that healing body. As we move into the fifteenth month after his injury, the "flickers' aren't occasional, they are blinding flashes. Ben is remembering more and more. His personality is returning. His sense of humor is great. Ben calls us CONSTANTLY on the phone. If I don't answer quickly enough, he calls  Jim or the house phone. Importantly, he remembers all of our numbers. Ben's other memories are not perfect, but what encourages me is the constant evolving mental status. Something is happening in that brain. It has to be good.

Ben is reading more and more. During our phone calls he discusses readings from his devotional.  His conversation is filled with thoughts about this faith journey. It may be only words reflecting Ben's injury, but I believe that God is speaking to Ben. Ben is yearning for family and is remembering more and more about family activities, personality quirks etc. He is concerned about not being there for us. Ben's cousin Katherine is getting married soon. When Ben was told about the wedding, he asked if he  needed to talk to Katherine's fiancé. Jim assured Ben that Katherine's dad had it well in hand. Ben replied, "Uncle Gil has a firm voice so that would probably be ok." Ben laughs often. Ben has his joy.

This week Ben will be fitted with hearing aides that should not only augment the hearing in his good ear , but will allow him to sense sound in the ear that is deaf as well. I believe that this is going to make a huge difference in his life. It has to be terribly frustrating to not hear properly when your mind is so eager to communicate. Ben can hardly wait to be fitted. He did ask if the aides would be noticeable... a sign of the old Ben.

Caring for Ben and providing rehabilitation is covered by insurance and DARS (Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services) for now. Jim and I will probably be facing the same struggles in providing care for Ben as noted in previous updates sometime in the spring. Our hope is that Ben will be in a much better place in his recovery to allow more options for living and therapy. I am preparing to take my Pediatric Medical Board Recertifyng exam in the next month or two. A practice exam question about head trauma was in my readings today. The explanation noted, "Traumatic Brain Injuries are the leading cause of death or disability in the United States and the leading cause of death in children from 1 to 19 years of age. Among children there are 7,000 deaths and 60,000 hospitalizations annually for TBI". These statistics are for kids. (Sorry, I am a pediatrician.) Young adults, like Ben and the elderly have equally concerning numbers. TBI is a chronic disease and it is common compared to many other medical conditions. With a condition that is common, why is finding care so difficult? I am praying that God keeps showing the way as we continue to look for living and therapeutic options for Ben. Thanks to everyone who continues to follow and pray for Ben. It will be good!


10 comments:

  1. Happy news! Great at the end of my day. Thanks for sharing. Gaye

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!!! I love these updates! It makes my heart so happy to hear about how well Ben is progressing! He's come such a long way, and I know that God will continue to take him even further! Praying with you!
    -Chanel

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of us at Dr. DeBroeck's office are continuing to follow and are glad to read about progress being made. We, of course, are keeping all of you in our prayers!

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. TBI the leading cause of death in our youth? Interesting statistics Karla. It makes sense thought when you think of the possibilities of injury for kids from 1-19. Whenever we visited the ER, the first question they asked my injured child was, "Were you wearing a helmet?"
    Thank you for your blog. We pray daily for continued progress.
    Jon and Ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. We feel such joy and gratitude! God continues to bless you, and, as a result, that blessing touches all of us.
    Uncle Bob and I are so grateful for the updates and for you, Benjamin. God loves you and so do we.
    Aunt Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just recently went through this site for the first time ever today.- Aug. 16, 2013 I was just informed about it by by my close and God-loving mother that she had been keeping an updated website about my motorcycle accident and how my Loving Lord was getting me through my recovery state and keeping me close to His Gands while im slowly making progress. I would really like to say a huge and wonderful thank you to everyone looking in,and praying for my life and injuries that has occurred. My Lord provided tamily is daithful an God trusting in my struggle i aould like to wholes heartedly thank them for their trusting ness and Lord given fainth in my progress . Thank you so much my beautiful, wonderous Mother $ Father I Love Ya'll Both Incredibly do much! Thank You both so much for your help and God blessed faith in my life!! I love you both so much!!- Ben Ramsey

      Delete
  6. Thank you Karla for the updates, I am reading them always and praying for Ben's continual recovery. His strength both mentally and physically is his greatest attribute. Ben always has been and always will be a rockstar in my eyes. All the best.

    Dave Brehm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coach Dave,
      Your comments (read over the phone) to Ben last evening made a huge impression on him. He remembers much about hockey and about you as a coach. After our conversation, Ben asked for the blog address, resulting in the above posted comment from him. the first EVER. Thanks from a grateful mom!

      Delete
  7. This is exciting and encouraging news. We will continue to pray for complete healing from the Lord. God is good!

    Mr. Doudt

    ReplyDelete