The purpose of this blog is to show how faith, my professional training and a healthy sense of humor taught me and continues to teach me that Jesus Christ is always in control. I am a fellow learner as this journey for my child unfolds. My wish is that Ben's legacy gives others hope where there seems to be none. It is also my desire that the information I have assimilated with my medical mind and filtered through a mother's heart gives practical ways to deal with this ever-changing chronic disease. Finally, for the many friends and family members who continue to follow Ben's life change after the injury, the story continues.

Saturday, July 27, 2013

A conference with all of Ben's therapists was held on Tuesday of last week. I listened to each story unfold with amazement. Ben has achieved so many of the goals listed in his therapy plan that a completely new plan has been laid out with new goals. His balance and walking gait require only infrequent reminders to look for obstacles ahead. Ben is now able to orient himself to date and time using cues in the environment without help. He is answering most questions correctly on listening comprehension exercises.
The occupational therapist tells me that Ben asks for his schedule each day and follows it carefully. His "homework assignments" are 3 word find puzzles daily and he is DOING THEM! The speech therapist is having Ben read articles and practicing conversation about what he has read. Because distraction is still a problem for Ben, he is not allowed to deviate from the topic in these conversations. An audiologist's evaluation has determined that Ben needs hearing aides. Perhaps even better things are in store for his language and processing. Activities of daily living (ADLs) are personal care routines that all of us do without much thought. Ben is handling his ADLs with little supervision, mostly just someone  to make sure he doesn't fall in the shower. Although Ben still struggles with cognitive problems and memory issues, I am amazed at what he does remember about our family and things he used to enjoy. Our conversations are a gift.

 Ben's care at the neurorecovery center has been funded for at least another 7 months. Insurance has extended Ben's care till August 24th. At that time another assessment will be made. Even though state funding won't really begin till September, Ben was approved for 180 days effective immediately. My previous updates have listed the many frustrations in obtaining care for Ben. We have moved from the "desert" of no resources to not one, but two certain funding solutions. God delivered grace. He is caring for Ben against the odds. I am learning all kinds of lessons about faith. 

The news about resources for Ben's care came within a few days of my father's recent, unexpected death on July 20th. The sorrow has been overwhelming for our family. He was everything a dad should be. In the midst of this pain, God allowed the burden and worry about Ben's care to disappear. When Ben heard about his grandfather's death, his conversation was lucid and appropriate with encouragement and support for  his grandmother and for me. He said, " I want to be a rope for my Grandmam. I want to be there for her. " There were many more conversations with Ben. One of them brought tears to my husband's eyes. God is carrying us through this difficult time. His timing is SO perfect. God is sovereign and has everything in the palm of His hand. I have peace. It will be good!


11 comments:

  1. We are so pleased to hear of the recent update. Ben is living out a chain of provisions and growth. Thank you for sharing in the ways that God has met Ben's needs for care and for his future. We will continue to lift all of you in our daily prayer. His steadfast love endures forever. Xoxo
    Jon & Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ben has come so far since the birthday party you attended. Would love for you to see him now. Thanks for thoughts and prayers.

      Delete
  2. I have tears streaming down my face, having read details on your latest update. I am so grateful to God for all He continues to do for Ben and for you. And I praise God that Ben has such strong and faithful parents! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karla, I'm so happy to hear how well your Ben is doing. I didn't know that you had a blog--now I get to see pictures. I'm amazed at how well my own son continues to recover from his TBI.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a long road. Learning along with you. God Bless!

      Delete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear of your father's undexpectant death. May you be blessed with his memories and look forward to the day you see him again. It is encouraging to hear how you are all walking this faith journey out so closely to the Lord. You are amazing and an encouragement for those of us also going through a tough journey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karla
    So happy to hear of Ben's continued improvement and that he is going to get to remain in a facility that is helping him be so successful. I was sorry to hear of your father's death. It sounds as if Ben is making great strides in his recovery.

    Have a blessed day
    Carole Lueb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this update so much! Praying for you all! I love reading your stories about God's provision and grace!
    -Chanel Denbo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have an amazing story as well. You encourage me.

      Delete
  7. Hey Karla,

    We just found out about this from a former student at CCCS. We are praying, and encouraged to see all the progress that Ben has already made. Praise the Lord!

    Ben Doudt

    ReplyDelete