The purpose of this blog is to show how faith, my professional training and a healthy sense of humor taught me and continues to teach me that Jesus Christ is always in control. I am a fellow learner as this journey for my child unfolds. My wish is that Ben's legacy gives others hope where there seems to be none. It is also my desire that the information I have assimilated with my medical mind and filtered through a mother's heart gives practical ways to deal with this ever-changing chronic disease. Finally, for the many friends and family members who continue to follow Ben's life change after the injury, the story continues.

Saturday, February 1, 2014

The journey continues in Ben's road to recovery. I am so appreciative of everyone that takes the time to follow Ben's progress. Ben was discharged from the Pate Neurorecovery Center in Anna, TX on January 17th. Jim and I, after exhaustive research, decided that there were limited venues for living and recovery for Ben in Texas. Ben relocated to a living facility in Colorado that offered opportunity for the next step in supporting Ben in his progress toward independence. It is a homelike facility with younger people, specifically geared toward traumatic brain injury. Jim and I were very hopeful that this could be the next step for Ben. He was tired of living in a controlled therapeutic environment and was ready to move toward preparing for school or work. Colorado seemed to have the answers we were looking for after hitting road block after road block to anything even remotely appropriate in Texas.


Prior to moving, however, there were some signs that problems common to patients with traumatic brain injury were increasing in intensity. Ben was becoming more and more anxious. He was more irritable and the potential for an angry outburst was a concern. Ben's memory is still affected and it is difficult for him to sustain attention for tasks or instructions. He needs supervision but is ready for independence as well. I asked for a reassessment of Ben's medications prior to the transfer to Colorado, seeing trouble on the horizon. The doctor hesitated to act because Ben was doing fairly well at the time of my request. The living center in Colorado was everything Jim and I had hoped for; opportunity with supervision. After one week, however, concerning behaviors surfaced requiring intervention. I received a call at the office with the devastating news. Ben would have to be moved immediately. My journal entry that day states,"I want deliverance, Lord, not more to endure. I want the miracle at the end of the road and I am tired of walking. Fix this. Lord, and let the road open up before me."

Psalm 34:17 says, " The righteous cry out and the Lord hears then and delivers them from all their troubles". Well, the doors and paths have started opening once again. Ben had to be moved to a facility to quickly adjust his medications. The professionals who helped move him were knowledgeable, kind and experienced. The organization of the transfer was taken out of my hands and handled beautifully. The facility which I found by "accident" is the best by reputation in the area. The doctor who "happened" to be on call has experience with mood problems AND brain injury. I feel that he knows what he is doing. The nurses have been amazing. And even more importantly, the living facility is willing to give him another chance after discharge. If that doesn't work out, there are MORE CHOICES! We had no options to choose from after our last discharge and were left to figure things out on our own. It was a tough place to be in. Just spoke with Ben tonight and he is so much better. Jim told him that phase 1 is to have predictable and less anxious behavior. Phase 2 is to move on with his life.

I know good things are coming even if this road seems too long. Hope is confident expectation. Please pray, if you have a moment, for Ben. He needs a renewed mind and healing. He needs to have joy in his life once again. It's coming!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the support everyone, both here and on Facebook. Ben is doing well today, walking toward the next road. Best of all, I am hearing joy in his voice again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just came across your blog after visiting CarePages. I'm praying for Ben and your family that there is a renewal of hope and new joys every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He has become part of my family's daily prayers. What an inspiration to all! I am blessed to have encountered him and will do what I can to help you!

    ReplyDelete