The purpose of this blog is to show how faith, my professional training and a healthy sense of humor taught me and continues to teach me that Jesus Christ is always in control. I am a fellow learner as this journey for my child unfolds. My wish is that Ben's legacy gives others hope where there seems to be none. It is also my desire that the information I have assimilated with my medical mind and filtered through a mother's heart gives practical ways to deal with this ever-changing chronic disease. Finally, for the many friends and family members who continue to follow Ben's life change after the injury, the story continues.

Sunday, November 11, 2018

Benjamin continues to enjoy life in Colorado. Many changes have occurred in Ben’s living situation since the last post many months ago, all of them good. When Ben returned from the Oklahoma rehabilitation hospital summer 2017, the door opened for him to initially live in a new program in the Denver area. This program provided basic care and Ben initially did well, but Jim and I felt something was missing. With the set backs in Ben’s medical condition, memory, physical health, and cognition from the seizures in  July 2016, we both knew that something needed to change. Ben was bored. He was housebound day after day. It wasn’t enough just to be housed safely, Ben needed a program tailored to his needs. Ben deserved a rich life with friends and activity. He needed to feel significant. God provided the answer. Ben’s advocate, who has helped us from the beginning started a brain injury program a few years ago for all the right reasons. She has such a heart for these injured people and knew she could do it better. This advocate also loves Ben and knows him well. The state of CO approved her application to expand her program and a place opened up for Ben in a new house.



Today, however, after spending the day with Ben, I know I should be counting my blessings, but instead I seem to be counting my frustrations. I have my granddaughters with me and I thought Ben would be excited to see all of us especially with the approach of Thanksgiving. Instead, he is overwhelmed. Brain injury is is such an ugly thing. He knows he should be happy to spend time with us, but was relieved when I took him  home early. I will pick him up in a couple of hours for dinner. His memory for most short term events, including the location of his house is nonexistent. He easily gets confused. I am constantly “on him” for grooming and personal personal care issues that could affect his health. Outings that should be fun for him can be a huge struggle. Ben’s world right now is so small and I am not helping with expectations for  more than he can handle. I am goal driven and it is not working. I believe God is asking me to love more and see Ben through His eyes. The living program Ben is in provides the opportunity for Ben to improve. Their goals are realistic.....mine aren’t and I know better. Choosing acceptance, love and joy tomorrow and for our dinner out tonight. It will be good.

I know some of the things I wrote in this blog are hard to hear. In the midst of great blessing and provision, brain injury is still ugly. Please keep Ben in your thoughts and prayers. Even though he is struggling, there is hope.  I do hear  unexpected comments from him on occasion that indicate potential for more recovery. I know God will use this for good. He already has. “ The peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard (our) hearts and  minds in Christ Jesus.” Phil 4:7

2 comments:

  1. Just a quick note to let you know that I am keeping Ben and your family in my prayers. Your steadfast faith is inspiring. Hope endures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Irrespective of receiving daily oral or future injectable depot therapies, these require health care visits for medication and monitoring of safety and response. If patients are treated early enough, before a lot of immune system damage has occurred, life expectancy is close to normal, as long as they remain on successful treatment. However, when patients stop therapy, virus rebounds to high levels in most patients, sometimes associated with severe illness because i have gone through this and even an increased risk of death. The aim of “cure”is ongoing but i still do believe my government made millions of ARV drugs instead of finding a cure. for ongoing therapy and monitoring. ARV alone cannot cure HIV as among the cells that are infected are very long-living CD4 memory cells and possibly other cells that act as long-term reservoirs. HIV can hide in these cells without being detected by the body’s immune system. Therefore even when ART completely blocks subsequent rounds of infection of cells, reservoirs that have been infected before therapy initiation persist and from these reservoirs HIV rebounds if therapy is stopped. “Cure” could either mean an eradication cure, which means to completely rid the body of reservoir virus or a functional HIV cure, where HIV may remain in reservoir cells but rebound to high levels is prevented after therapy interruption.Dr Itua Herbal Medicine makes me believes there is a hope for people suffering from,Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,psoriasis,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,siva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma Infectious mononucleosis. .Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpe ,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia.(measles, tetanus, whooping cough, tuberculosis, polio and diphtheria),Chronic Diarrhea,
    Hpv,All Cancer Types,Diabetes,Hepatitis,I read about him online how he cure Tasha and Tara so i contacted him on drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com / . even talked on whatsapps +2348149277967 believe me it was easy i drank his herbal medicine for two weeks and i was cured just like that isn't Dr Itua a wonder man? Yes he is! I thank him so much so i will advise if you are suffering from one of those diseases Pls do contact him he's a nice man.

    ReplyDelete